Union Fork and Hoe Factory - Washington Mills
Fork and Hoe Factory
In 1885, Charles H. Philo purchased an interest in the company. The works covered an area of 10 acres opposite the Glen Crest housing development and employed from 75 to 100 skilled mechanics. The mechanical appliances and equipment of the factory insured rapid production.
The factory manufactured hoes, pitchforks, lawn rakes, knives and various garden implements which were shipped throughout the United States and to all parts of the world. The active management was under Mr. Philo until the plant closed in 1909.
The Union Fork and Hoe Factory was located on Oneida Street in Washington Mills, from 1865 to 1909. The company was founded in Unadilla Forks in 1840, when Henry H. Babcock began the manufacturing of hoes by hand on an anvil. Later Charles B. Brown and others became interested with him, and in 1865 the business was moved to Washington Mills.
In 1871 Porter S. Huntley and Mr. Babcock became sole owners and continued the business until 1883, when the Huntley and Babcock Agricultural Company was incorporated. This firm continued until 1887 when the name was changed to Lewis and Babcock Manufacturing company and in 1892 it was changed to the Utica Tool company.
Fork and Hoe Employees