Sanger Gravesite Memorial
This is Jedediah Sanger's gravestone as it looked in Forest Hill Cemetery.
Jedediah Sanger, the Founder of New Hartford, was buried with great honor in the old pioneer cemetery on Oxford Road in 1829. His daughter, Sarah Eames, transferred him to the Eames gravesite that was located near the Eames homestead at 76 Oxford Road in New Hartford. Still later his remains were moved when the Eames graves were removed from Oxford Road to Forest Hills Cemetery on Oneida Street where his grave remains to this day. His gravestone stands straight, has a veteran’s flag displayed, but the following wording is hardly legible.
"In memory of Jedediah Sanger — Who died — June 6, 1829 — Founder of New Hartford. His charities are widely extended. His munificence has reared and supported several offices devoted to the services of his maker. His virtues are indelibly impressed on the hearts of his countrymen."
New Hartford today is a thriving commercial and residential area that provides an excellent place to raise your children and receive an excellent education. Jedediah Sanger was successful because he gave back to community with donations for churches and building stately homes for his family. He and his family started out in a small log cabin on the Sauquoit Creek that he recognized as a wonderful water supply for his cotton mill.
Through the efforts of Bob Dicker, the New Hartford Historical Society, the village and town of New Hartford, the New Hartford Rotary and the American Legion Post 1376, a stone placed in front of this memorial with the inscription preserved so that future generations will be able to visit the grave site and pay tribute to our founder.
On Saturday, October 13, 2007 a ceremony was held at this grave site with the new stone in place. The site is on lot 22 on the Spencer Eames grave site.