Col. Thomas Rhoads
Rhoads Hospital was located on Burrstone Road in 1942 (Notre Dame High School now occupies the site). It was named for Col. Thomas Leidy Rhoads, a career Army surgeon. Rhoads Hospital was one of the great orthopedic hospitals of the US Army. It was an active Army post designated for patients who needed convalescent care and rehabilitation. Patients arrived on special medical trains on the New York, Ontario and Western tracks which came into a siding behind the hospital. The aim of the treatment was to return soldiers to active duty. Chaplains provided counseling and religious services for Catholic, Protestant and Jewish patients.
Departments included a post office, telephone center, enlisted men and officer quarters, post theater, chapel, motor pool, civilian personnel office, laundry, bake shop, sewing shop, carpenter shop, cadet nurse quarters, quartermaster warehouse, nurses quarters, barracks, wards, Red Cross building, the post exchange with a barber shop and tailor shop, financial office and post engineer.
The Red Cross played a major role in the hospital. It had its own building, the only two story one on the grounds. Sun rooms, adjacent to the wards, were furnished by local clubs and organizations. The people of Utica and the surrounding area gave tremendous support to the patients and staff.
From 1942 to 1946 the hospital served over 25,000 patients. The economic impact was notable as the finance office disbursed $25,000,000 for salaries, products, food and supplies. Construction cost $44,000,000 and the monthly payroll was $175,000.
In 1946 the hospital closed. The land and all the buildings were declared "war surplus" and sold by the government.
Ward scene shows patients relaxing while awaiting dinner call.