Two views of the same building in Washington Mills on Oneida Street across from Mallory Road. The left photo was taken in 1884 when it was a Variety Store run by Lewis Davies. On the right, is a view of the building after it was remodeled. in the early 1900's. It was then run by James T. Davies. The upstairs had a large room used as a dancing hall. It was the site of many festive occasions.
Later still A.S. Champ had a variety store there from 1921 to 1943 and the Washington Mills Post Office operated in a corner of the store. Stanley Champ's wife, Blanche, was the postmistress. During the 50's and 60's it was a grocery store, the Suburban Market., run by the Mitchell brothers. A fire forced the closing of that store. Since then many small business operations have come and gone.
Today the building is owned by John Bentley who operates an auto body shop in the rear.