Hotels in New Hartford
In the early 1900's salesmen landed in Union Station in Utica and immediately went to a livery and rented a horse and buggy to take them to neighboring communities where there were hotels in abundance and there they could stay for the night and do their business. New Hartford had three hotels at this time. The hotels would usually provide the lunches free that went with the drinks. On most bars there was the usual cheese, crackers, and bologna. Upon arrival at hotels, the horses would be rubbed down by hostlers. After cooling down, the horses would be watered and fed. The Village Board met at Billingham’s Hotel and it was reported that someone spilled beer on Morgan Butler, and he said "I have had enough of this", and he decided to build Butler Hall, which he did.
Originally the site of a Baptist Church. The Williams House was located on the northeast corner of Genesee Street and Campion Road. In the 1890s it was a popular stagecoach stop, tavern, and hotel in the village. During the boom period, an additional floor was added. However, economics and the growth of Utica with the Erie Canal projects soon lessened activity at this popular stage stop on the Seneca Turnpike West.
Humphrey Williams, grandfather of Ed Hanley, owned the Williams House which was considered a fine hotel for its time. Ed Hanley's father was bartender there. He later opened a hotel in back of Wanamaker's Store. Lights came to New Hartford in 1896, and you can see new wires just erected. This building was sold in 1901 and renamed the 'Hotel New Hartford' and was subsequently razed February 9, 1931.
The Durrenbeck Hotel was a going concern in 1894 when this photograph was taken of Mrs. Durrenbeck and her children. The family lived upstairs. In 1941 Mr. Bud Kenyon purchased the hotel and named it Ken's Grill. The property was later razed and today it is the site of the McDonalds restaurant in Washington Mills.
The Van Kuren Hotel was located on Oneida Street, across from Mallory Road. The proprietor was Edward Van Kuren who lived at the hotel. In 1941 it was sold to Stanley Champ who took down a section of it and made apartments on the right side. This apartment house still stands in Washington Mills, south of the Chapman Road intersection.
The old Lightbody hotel was on Genesee Street. It was situated next to the McLean House, the former home of Jedediah Sanger, going toward Utica. It was later called the Entwistle House Hotel and was owned by Joseph and Emma Entwistle.
Subsequently renamed the Billingham's Hotel, the hotel featured sporting events such as cock fights and many a local citizen enjoyed the festivities of the time.