Utica Country Day School/Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences
Utica Country Day School
The Utica Country Day School was located on Genesee Street above Gulf Avenue, where the Wedgewood Apartments now stand. The 300 acre site was purchased from the Yahnundasis Golf Club by Miss Knox, who ran a female academy in Utica.
The Country Day School was coeducational, but closed in 1944 due to insufficient funds. The building later served as the home of the Mohawk Valley Technical Institute which became Mohawk Valley Community College.
Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences
It all began as an educational experiment, aimed at providing job training for veterans returning from World War II. New York State, in April 1940, created five institutes of applied arts and sciences in New York City, White Plains, Binghamton, Buffalo and Utica.
The institute in Utica opened first, on Oct. 15, 1946, directed by Paul Richardson. It was housed in the former Country Day School in New Hartford.
In 1947, the college's Mechanical and Textile Technology Divisions moved into the second floor of the old Mohawk Cotton Mill on State Street in Utica. Both State Street sections attended classes at the New Hartford headquarters of Utica Tech during certain days of the week for communications classes and sports activities.
Many students were military veterans from World War II from other parts of New York State.
In 1953, the college came under sponsorship of Oneida County, and changed its name to Mohawk Valley Technical Institute. Dr. Albert Payne was named as the college's first President.
In 1960 the campus on Sherman Drive was opened. It was designed by noted American architect Edward Durell Stone, and included an academic administration building, student center and gymnasium.
The building that housed the Utica Country Day School and the Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences was demolished in 1961.