Butler House

 

Morgan Butler. a lifelong resident of New Hartford, built this beautifully preserved example of a Gothic Revival dwelling on Oxford Road. A progressive farmer, Butler was an agent for a mowing machine company, and owned the first mowing machine in Oneida county. He frequently demonstrated the device for his neigh­bors and curious visitors.

Morgan Butler was the third generation of his family to farm land in this area of New Hartford. His grandfather, Eli, had settled here in 1789 with his son, Eli Butler, Jr. and farmed about 300 acres. This house was built around 1850 and remained Morgan Butler's home until he moved to the center of the village.

The house shows the influence of Andrew Jackson Downing. Here we see a symmetrical facade with a prominent gable and overhang­ing eaves ornamented with the favorite Gothic Revival motif of carved barge board. Lovely bay windows project from the north and south walls of the house and serve to unite the interior of the house with the surrounding Grounds.

116-Oxford-Road-(5).jpg