Blumenstock Gas Station
How many readers remember the Mobile gas station that stood on the corner of Genesee Street and Oxford Road in the 50's? It was operated by John Blumenstock. He and his family moved to 18 Pearl Street, New Hartford in 1949.
Linda Blumenstock-LaBarge, his daughter, contacted the society in 2011. She shared with us some memories of her childhood that was centered on that gas station.
Her Dad was very much respected in the town. The station opened at 6 a.m. and closed at 12:30 a.m. When someone came in for gas, John automatically washed the car headlights, tail lights, windshield and side mirrors. He also checked the oil and water. Many prominent residents bought their fancy cars in Utica but insisted on John Blumenstock maintaining them. In those days the station had its own credit system. The lowest price for gas was 13 cents a gallon. The amount owed was written down and the person paid him when they thought of it (or sometimes forgot!)
John was a volunteer firefighter and was always the first one out of the door from home or the gas station to drive the big truck in the middle stall of the old fire station. In fact, he had a heart attack while driving the truck to a fire and that was the beginning of the end of his gas station career.