In 1913 George Ogden, Merwin K. Hart, Jim Eales went to Attleboro, Mass. where they bought, at a sheriff's sale, the then bankrupt American Emblem Co. The company’s equipment was shipped the then Williams & Williams furniture store on Columbia Street in Utica, where the company flourished.
Around 1919 the company moved to Genesee Street where Wanamaker's Furniture Store was later located. In July 1937, they moved across the street into the former home of the Olympian Knit Goods.
Over its 48 years of production American Emblem became a nationally respected supplier of all manner of sales incentives, advertising gifts, name plates, decorative trim, service appreciation awards and precision assemblies. They worked in precious as well as common metals.
The name plate on such well-known appliances as Norge, Crosley, Kelvinator, Westinghouse, General Electric, RCA and many more, were made by American Emblem. In addition, name plates for automobiles such as Kaiser, Ford, Desoto, Packard, Cadillac, Pontiac and Chevrolet were made here.
Many of the employees served the company for thirty years or more and some could say they had been there throughout its forty-eight years.
During World War I most the of the insignias for officers and enlisted men were produced here. And in World War II the company made insignias for all branches of service.
After World War II they manufactured official badges for U. S. Customs Officers, the U. S. Post Office Department, National Parks Service, along with medals for events such as the National Soap Box Derby and All-American athletics. Also, advertising specialties and a wide assortment of trophies and awards were part of their catalog.
In February 1963 The American Emblem Company was notified by the state that its building would be taken to make way for the Sauquoit Valley arterial.
American Emblem Factory
American Emblem Employees
At that time American Emblem employed 110 people. Several potential sites were considered but they were unable to secure a loan from the New York Business Development Corp. The plant had been financially weak for 15 years but began showing promise in 1963. The plant was eventually sold to the Worchester Mass Stamped Metal Company. It officially closed on August 17, 1963.